Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My lunch

I haven't talked much about it but about two years ago I went to an Ayurvedic practitioner and he prescribed me a way of eating each day which he believed would help me be healthier. I've been following this prescription the best I can and he was right - I do feel a lot better. Basically, this means I eat pretty much the same thing every day. When I say 'the same thing' I'm probably mis-representing. I eat my meals at the same regular intervals and they tend to look pretty similar. Maybe I should talk about lunch.

For lunch I eat tofu, salad and freshly-made wholewheat bread. But I've found that for me to stick to this way of eating I need heaps of freedom around how I eat these three things. Yesterday, I had marinated tofu and today I'm having tofu cream cheese which I whipped up this morning. My salads vary heaps depending on what is in season. I've been doing a pretty good line in spinach salads lately, because lettuce has been really expensive. My main aim with salads is always to get as many different colours in them as possible. I usually have wholewheat bread which Brent sets going the night before and we bake as we have breakfast but some days I might have Chapati or Morroccan daily bread or bagels. I've even been known to make scones when I've left it to the last minute. I also don't always stick with wheat. My practitioner said I can use any grain - quinoa and barley are my go to grains and I am loving the Scarlet Barley recipe from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Appetite for Reduction.

I thought I'd give you a link for some great bread recipes. They come from a Hare Krishna sight. Hare Krisha's in my experience love dairy products almost as much as they love and worship the cow. I used to go out with a devotee and I spent a lot of time at temple and man, it is a hard place to be vegan. One of the interesting things about Krishna milk is that they only take the fore-milk of the animal leaving the aft-milk for the calves. Anyway, what I do if replace any butter or ghee with oil or margarine and any cow's milk with soy milk.

PS: I spoke to Brent this morning and he said he will do a guest post next week about how to make the famous 'bread that Brent makes'.

No comments :

Post a Comment