Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Blame it on the Boogie.

I just whipped up some muffins. This never usually happens at this time on a Tuesday evening. I tell you this blog has been great for remembering that I can do things like make muffins while Toki has her bath. I used to be really good at that sort of thing but then I got busy and tired and on Twitter baha.

I love this recipe. I have no idea where it came from , so if it's yours please let me know. I like how it has no eggs but it doesn't use anything to replace the egg, it just kind of blazes a new trail in the muffin frontier baha. These muffins were the first baked good Toki had. They have hardly any sugar - if you don't count the molasses. I think you could easily make them sugarfree by replacing the sugar with maple syrup and the molasses with 1/2 a banana.

Oh, and speaking of baking. My friend Sarah, asked about the bread and where it sits overnight. Brent leaves the bread in a bowl on the bench overnight - not in the fridge. Our friend Keith mixes his bread on the bench directly and leaves it on the bench to rise - he covers it with a damp tea-towel. Wellington has shitty weather baha so maybe you can't leave bread on the bench overnight in warm places.

Okay here's the recipe:


SUNSHINE MUFFINS


Preheat over to 200 degrees Celsius

1 orange (peeled and cut into quarters)
1 tbsp sugar (OR 1 tbsp maple syrup or agave)
1 cup wholemeal flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk-like substance (rice, soy, almond)
1/2 cup of oil (I tend to use canola oil for baking)
1 tsp molasses (OR 1/2 a mashed banana)
Pinch of salt (optional)
Handful of dried fruit: sultanas, cranberries, that sort of thing)

Put orange in food processor and whizz it up with molasses (OR banana) sugar (OR maple syrup or agave), then milk, then oil. Whizz. Whizz. Whizz. (But not too much - you want it fluffy but not mayonnaise).
Pour this runny mixture over the dry ingredients and lightly stir. (Sometimes, like tonight, the mixture is quite dry, so I mixed in a bit more milk-ness or add some yoghurt if I have it on-hand, I guess you could also use orange juice).
Put into greased muffin tins.
You could place a piece of glazed ginger on the top if you wanted.

Cook at 200 degrees Celsius for 12-15 minutes.

1 comment :

  1. Yeah, remember to put a tea-towel over the bread if you're leaving it overnight (doesn't have to be damp). That stops it drying out and discourages flies and rats! - Brent

    ReplyDelete