Tuesday, October 18, 2011

In our food cupboard

As a librarian, I love lists. I thought it might be interesting to inventory everything we have in our pantry. What I found from this exercise is that we have ALOT in our pantry. Variety is one of my obsessions. I have this belief, which may be misguided, that is I can eat as many different grains, vegetables, fruit and protein as possible I have a better chance of getting the nutrients I need. I am under absolutely no illusion that I get everything I need from my diet. You will be hard pressed to get me to argue on the side of 'veganism is a natural way to eat'. I am totally aware that my diet is not perfect but it isn't about diet for me, it's about rights, and well, as a good friend of mine said once, 'If I don't reach my evolutionary potential but some animals don't suffer it is worth it.' I am also extremely grateful to science teehee - as you can see, as well as food, our cupboard also contains several vitamin and mineral supplements that keep us all humming along. Anyway, here's my list - in alphabetical order.

Almonds
Amaranth
Arrowroot
Barley
Bran flakes
Brown rice
Buckwheat groats
Bulk Baking powder
Bulk Basmati rice
Bulk Canola oil
Bulk Cumin
Bulk Dill
Bulk Marmite
Bulk Olive oil
Bulk Wholemeal flour
Cashews
Chai seeds
Cocoa
Coconut
Coffee
Corn chips
Corn crackers
Cornflakes
Cornmeal
Cream of Tartar
Custard powder
Dried Black eyed beans
Dried Brown lentils
Dried Chickpeas
Dried Mung beans
Dried pasta – spaghetti & penne
Dried Pinto beans
Dried Red split lentils
Dried Split green peas
Dried Split yellow peas
Evening Primrose
Gluten Flour
Gluten-free pasta
Hazel nuts
Hundreds & Thousands
Ice cream cones
Icing sugar
Iron supplement
Jelly Beans
Lasagna strips
Linseeds
Mapo Tofu sachet
Onions
Orgram Dinosaur Cookies
Pic’s Peanut Butter
Popcorn
Quinoa
Rice bubbles
Rice milk
Rolled oats
Saladas
Soba noodles
Soy chunks
Soy Milk
Sugar
Sunflower seeds
Sushi Nori
Sushi rice
Vanilla essence
Vermicelli
Vitamin B12 spots
Vitamin C
Wheatgerm

No comments :

Post a Comment