Monday, October 3, 2011

Hokey Pokey Disco Biscuits



Someone asked for the recipe for the biscuits we took for disco supper. I've put that below. Trans fats terrify me, so we don't make this recipe very often, but it is quick and it is yum. My friend Lorry calls these Safari biscuits and that always makes me think of Ernest Hemingway, although I am pretty sure he never packed a lunch.

Thinking about vegan baking reminded me of the very helpful Vegan Baking 101 page on Post Punk Kitchen. It's got ideas for replacing eggs in baking. On this page they say there is no vegan replacement for meringue - that is probably true although, man, Angel Foods Meringue Mix looks pretty good. Their Vegan Marshmallow Kit is awesome! (Angel Foods also import the best vegan cheese I've tasted. Cheezly is delish! But more on Vegan cheese later).



While I'm on the subject of alternatives, the Christchurch Vegetarian Centre has a great page called Vegan Alternatives to Eggs and Dairy. I'm particular grateful for their tips on replacing butter with oil. Less trans fats - Yay! I also learnt how to make yogurt from this page. Anyway, I could talk about baking all day but here's the recipe (with my copious notes).



Hokey Pokey Disco Biscuits (sorry, reach for the lasers and all that)

125 g vegan margarine (we usually use Oliviano but we have also used other products)
1/2 cup sugar (we usually use brown sugar but that's because that's usually what we have in the house)
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1 tablespoon vegan milk (soy, rice, almond - so much vegan milk, and it's in most supermarkets - thank you lactose intolerant people)
1 1/2 cups of flour (I use whole or white or a mixture of both)
1 teaspoon baking soda (the egg of the vegan world baha)

Combine margarine, sugar, golden syrup and milk in a saucepan. Heat until melted - stir constantly. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool to lukewarm (this is really important, if you try the next bit before the mixture is cool, erm, it is more soup than biscuit). Sift flour and baking soda together. Add to the cooled mixture. Stir well. Roll tablespoonful of mixture and place on ungreased oven trays. Flatten with a fork. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments :

Post a Comment