Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Almost Vegan Month of Food

I'm going to try to blog every day in October about being vegan. I'll probably also blog about my daughter being vegan and my partner and the other vegan people we know and the non-vegan people who come to our house to eat and the people we meet at school and the people that run our local grocery and veg and fruit shop and the people we see when we walk into town and probably our families and the people we work with. Being vegan's a bit like that I reckon, it kind of goes a beyond just food, for us I think, for me I'm sure.

I do like food though. We tend to eat mainly wholefoods - heaps of beans and vegetables and seeds and nuts. I always feel really lucky to live in Aotearoa because it is pretty easy to get fresh plant-based food. We don't eat organic, mainly because we can't afford it but we do grow the odd thing in pots on our deck. Toki and I planted some spinach and spring onions this morning, also some pansies - which she assures me you can eat, although, I'm not overly sure. Toki is five. We are eating our lunch while I type this. I had a salad with red cabbage, lettuce and cucumber, some tofu and a couple of pieces of wholewheat bread which B made for me before he went to work. Toki had a handful of nuts, some popcorn, some banana chips, some chocolate chips, a banana (noticing the theme?) - she really loves to graze, I think it comes from being a life-vegan.

Tonight we're having a night off beans because our friends who live up the road made us these:
Lakes Childhood Favourite Meatballs

We have heaps of amazing friends and quite often they make us delicious vegan food which we really appreciate. Although not all of them agree with how we eat they all make us feel really supported, which again I really appreciate because I know some of my choices must look strange from the outside. People are pretty awesome animals.

Hmm, am I the only vegan starting Vegan Month of Food with a recipe for meatballs?



2 comments :

  1. Yay! I look forward to reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'm late to the party here but those meatballs look AMAZING. Some of my favourite food memories involve nutmeat...

    ReplyDelete